***APPLICATION CLOSED 8/17/2018***
The search for the Michigan Tech Enterprise Corporation SmartZone (MTECSZ) Chief Executive Officer is underway. We seek an accomplished business leader to join our team in Houghton, Michigan. The MTECSZ is a not for profit high-tech business incubator that has guided entrepreneurs to develop successful technical businesses, as well as helping create high tech jobs, in Michigan’s Keweenaw Peninsula since 2002.
Do you have a rich understanding of how an idea becomes a company, experience with the top and bottom end of operations, and how to cultivate collaborative partnerships? If so, the CEO position may be the perfect fit for you.
In this role, you are hands-on in leading an entrepreneurial organization. You drive new partnerships through one-on-one work with corporate and entrepreneurial prospects. MTECSZ aims to partner with businesses and innovation accelerators to create a diverse ecosystem that delivers new value propositions to consumers and creates value within the entrepreneurial ecosystem. You are versed in business development, management and entrepreneurial roles in a variety of industries/verticals. You are a well-rounded self-starter with proven leadership, analytical, project management, negotiation, and communication skills. You are a goal and deadline oriented individual capable of working across all levels of an organization to drive business outcomes.
To be successful in this role, you should have a high level of leadership experience, possess an aptitude for financial management, and an ability to coach and build a business team. Through influence, relationship-building and effective partner research, the CEO must anticipate how decisions are made and persistently explore and uncover new partnership opportunities. This position reports to the MTECSZ Board of Directors.
COMPENSATION/BENEFITS. Starting annual salary of $120,000 – $150,000 based on the knowledge and experience you bring. In addition, the MTECSZ offers a comprehensive package of benefits including health, dental, prescription drug, and vision coverage; paid holidays and paid vacation time; a retirement plan, disability insurance, and relocation assistance.
MINIMUM & PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Management or directly-related discipline preferred; Master’s Degree, a bonus.
- 10 years’ experience leading and mentoring business development.
- Ability to ramp up quickly in understanding the key attributes of technologies, products, markets and teams that lead to successful MTECSZ startup companies.
- Hands on experience creating, mentoring, coaching and managing high performing teams.
- Lead the marketing effort to attract and retain high-tech businesses as SmartZone tenants.
- Real estate management experience, a bonus.
- Network with local, state, regional, and national organizations and citizens to identify and coordinate economic development opportunities.
- Superior ability to present to executives and influence decision-making.
- Experience working with start-ups and accelerators, a plus.
- Possess strong financial management acumen; experience seeking and obtaining grant funding desired.
- Experience reporting to and working with a board of directors, required.
- Possess exceptional interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to relocate and reside in the Houghton, Michigan area, required.
- Willingness and ability to travel (up to 20%), required.